Getting Married in Sri Lanka (For Foreign Nationals)
Government of Sri Lanka allows foreign national to arrange marriage ceremony and registration in Sri Lanka. In this regard please ensure that applicant should have the documents listed below.
The legal requirements for Registration of Marriages of Foreign Nationals in Sri Lanka are very straightforward. Applicant is required to produce the following documents to the Divisional/District Registrar of the area where your marriage would take place.
- Passports of the couple wishing to get married
- Birth certificates of the couple wishing to get married
- The following documents should be certified by the respective Foreign Office of the country that the marriage partners are belong or relevant accredited countries and legalised by the respective Sri Lankan Mission
- Unmarried certificate or declaration
- Divorcees- Divorce Certificate and Free to Marry Certificate
- If widowed, the Death Certificate of your late spouse, your previous marriage certificate and Free to Marry Certificate
- If you have changed your name, a Deed Poll (including divorcees who have reverted to their maiden names)
- Unmarried certificate / Free to Marry Certificate: – An affidavit /statutory declaration signed by a solicitor to confirm who you are and your present status (un-married/ free marry). Separate affidavits for the period of time lived in different countries which are certified/legalised by respective Foreign Office & Sri Lankan Mission accredited for that country
- For other nationals living in the Turkey/Georgia/Ukraine , the document should be certified by their respective Diplomatic Mission in the Turkey
- Valid visa to travel to Sri Lanka
In addition to visit Sri Lanka for getting married, aplicant to obtain a tourist visa
- Duly completed ETA Tourist Visa application form
- Passport with two unused visa pages (validity should be at least six months from the date you arrive in Sri Lanka)
- Copy of Passport (Data page/Photo page)
- Two recent photographs -passport size- taken within last 6 months.
- Relevant visa fee
Applicant can handover the above in person or send by post (special delivery). If you want us to return your passport by post, please include a self-addressed special delivery stamped envelope.
PLEASE NOTE: You must get your marriage certificate certified by the Consular Affairs Section of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Sri Lanka in Colombo (02nd Floor, Ceylinco Building, Janadhipathi Mawatha, and Colombo 01) and counter certified by this Mission within one year. If the certificate issued in Sinhalese/ Tamil language you may obtain official English translation from the Register General Office (www.rgdept.lk) and certified that as well by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Sri Lanka and by this Mission. Only then will your marriage certificate be valid to submit to authorities outside of Sri Lanka.